Barcelona have told Samuel Umtiti he can leave the club, reports claim.
Last month, in a 4-2 win at Sevilla, the France defender made his first-team return from a knee injury, which had sidelined him since November.
Speaking about his injury lay-off, Umtiti told L’Equipe: “I knew of the injury at the World Cup, but I played through it.
“It was only when I returned to Barcelona that I decided to recover but I did not expect it to take so long, and it would have been easier to have surgery at that point.
LIVE on talkSPORT
There are 10 live commentaries remaining across the talkSPORT network this week. Find out what they are and when you can hear them, below…
- Bayern Munich vs Liverpool (Wednesday) – talkSPORT
- Nottingham Forest vs Aston Villa (Wednesday) – talkSPORT 2
- Dynamo Kyiv vs Chelsea (Thursday) – talkSPORT 2
- Watford vs Crystal Palace (Saturday) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield United (Saturday) – talkSPORT 2
- West Ham vs Huddersfield (Saturday) – talkSPORT 2
- Swansea vs Manchester City (Saturday) – talkSPORT
- Wolves vs Manchester United (Saturday) – talkSPORT
- Millwall vs Brighton (Sunday) – talkSPORT 2
- Fulham vs Liverpool (Sunday) – talkSPORT
“But I believe I made the right decision in not doing this, and I want to thank those who advised me on the situation and for the club, who supported me throughout the process.”
And despite his return to fitness, Italian publication Calciomercato claim Barcelona are willing to sell Umtiti this summer.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Gareth Southgate explains why Declan Rice is unique after first England call-up
UEFA investigating Neymar over ‘go f*** yourselves’ rant after Man United defeat
Declan Rice earns debut England call-up after switching allegiance from Ireland
Umtiti, whose contract expires in 2023, reportedly “likes” Manchester United and Manchester City, two clubs he has been linked with in the past.
The 25-year-old joined Barcelona for £21.4million from Lyon in 2016 and his days could be numbered if the LaLiga champions move for Ajax wonderkid Matthijs de Ligt.
Football Index Futures
Become a Football Futures Trader on
Trade £500 RISK FREE for 7 Days.
- Build your Portfolio
- Earn Dividends
- Sell at a Profit!
Get started from just £10 Learn more - join.fifutures.com