Everton do NOT want to sign former Chelsea striker Diego Costa this summer, talkSPORT has been told.
Costa, the Atletico Madrid forward, was surprisingly linked with a switch to Goodison Park over the weekend, with ambitious Toffees owner Farhad Moshiri hoping to complete a ‘statement signing’.
Moshiri reportedly ordered club staff to assess the potential signing of Costa, who left the Premier League in January 2018 to return to Atleti after two-and-a-half years with Chelsea.
He was a prolific scorer during his time at Stamford Bridge, with 52 league goals netted in just 89 appearances. though his form since returning to Spain has been nothing short of woeful.
Costa has found the back of the net in LaLiga just five times in his year-and-a-half back in Madrid, and he was handed an eight-match ban in April for abusing a referee.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Dani Alves wins incredible 43rd trophy of career following Copa America triumph
‘Paul Pogba will go down as the most disliked Man United player of all time’
Nonetheless, despite all his issues, reports over the weekend claimed Everton were looking into possibly signing Costa.
However, talkSPORT host Jim White announced on Monday that the rumours are ‘complete nonsense’.
Speaking on his show, Jim said: “I heard from the very top at Everton yesterday as Diego Costa to Everton was doing the rounds.
“You can forget that… that has been described as complete nonsense.”
Everton have so far signed two players this summer, adding goalkeeper Jonas Lossl on a free transfer from Huddersfield, and also bringing in Andre Gomes on a permanent deal after his successful loan during 2018/19.
Sebastian Kristensen has also arrived from Danish side Lyngby to boost the club’s academy ranks.
Football Index Futures
Become a Football Futures Trader on
Trade £500 RISK FREE for 7 Days.
- Build your Portfolio
- Earn Dividends
- Sell at a Profit!
Get started from just £10 Learn more - join.fifutures.com